09 June 2010

How would you like that cooked?

Today's post is going to be all about FOOD! Sorry I'm not sorry.I have spent much of the day talking about food, and, for the first time in my life, looking at pictures of food. I never really understood the draw- why would I ever want to sit around and look at pictures of food? It just made me want to get up and eat everything around me. Or, it would just make me upset that there weren't enough delicious things at my fingertips to eat! Either way, I was confused by the appeal. Today, however, I have been looking at pictures from my cousin's blog and since she is a master baker, she has tons of beautiful pictures of her signature baked goods
- cupcakes in particular.
Not going to lie, I don't really plan on baking any of these recipes any time soon being that my skills in the kitchen are best used towards making cereal. For some reason today, though, I really wanted to write about food. I also just realized that another reason why I have the inclination to write about food is because yesterday Stephanie and I, after a hard day at the office, rewarded ourselves and went to Magnolia Bakery to mack on some cupcakes (if you can quote this whole song to me you can be Rockstar of the Day). This bakery, being very picturesque and delicious, I'm sure had something to do with this food kick I seem to be on.

All my life, I've been REALLY into food (find me someone who isn't and you too can be Rockstar of the Day for a whole week). But, what I'm trying to say is that I'm all about big meals, large portions, and high quality food (and H2O). I'd much rather eat 3 big meals a day than snack on something little and insignificant (Tostitos being one of the only exceptions). I think family-style Italian restaurants are great because when the the food comes out everyone always acts like they're overwhelmed and complain, "oh wow, such big portions, I'll have to take some of this home," BUT I know they're thrilled and also very excited because they, like myself, have a lot of confidence that a) they'll be able to finish the meal b) they'll have some leftovers that will be utterly delicious the next day, or even later that night (oops). And, I love really good food. We are NOT talking about McDonald's or Taco Bell party people. I'll thank The Parentals for that trait because they had a lot to do with what kind of food I grew up with/came to really like, AND because they chose to live in New York, and although I'm no world traveler, restaurants don't get too much better than they do in the Big Apple and the surrounding suburbs. Good work Long Island.

So, even though I don't cook much/ever (don't worry Mom, someday...), I wanted to share some of my fave's in terms of restaurants in general. Again, I'm no expert, but I realized I do like talking about food. For this post, I'll split it up based on the two places I have most recently lived. But, before I get started, I'll have you know I am probs a bit biased being that I honestly think I could live off of carbohydrates for the rest of my life and be very happy.

Strong Island: Butera's, La Famiglia, and Carrabba's are great for solid Italian cuisine but La Parma is also delicious, and a family favorite. If you want pizza, and I know you do because why wouldn't you want to eat pizza in NY, you MUST go to Mannino's. I'll forever be loyal to Baja Grill due to its prime location, delicious chips and salsa, and festive decorations. For sushi, Sushi Ichi fo sho, and for burgers look no further than the gourmet quality of American Roadside. Make sure to get sweet potato fries. For Greek food, I love Mykono's and their awesome pita bread and if you like watching people cook on the table right in front of you, go to Gasho for the win. And, finally, for breakfast/bruch, Maureen's Kitchen is so great and is decorated with charming cows. And a late, but great find, thanks to my friend Shannon, JT's is also a winner. Also, Trace and her spaghetti squash are fab. Oh, and all things prepared by my grandma for the Jewish holidays. (Ex: matzo ball soup, kugel, and briscuit).
Charlottesville: I decided to do my top 5, but we all know I like mostly all Corner eateries. Bodo's has to be mentioned first because I think my life would be very different without it. I can't say that I haven't eaten there multiple times a day for different meals on multiple days throughout the year and last summer. It is also quite cheap, so that's always a plus for us college kids. Then, I'd have to say Boylan Heights for burgers, Mellow Mushroom for specialty pizzas such as Kosmic Karma (most definitely ate 3 slices in a very short period of time the last night of school and may or may not have wanted to have eaten 4 slices). Bahh, and I guess the last 2 would have to be good old Little John's for its cheap sandwich delights and delectable muffins (chocolate chip OR banana nut, you can't go wrong with either), and then Basil because I've had many a wonderful dinners there with many wonderful people.

I know I said I'd keep the list to top 5, but I thought it would be alright, being that it's my blog and all, if I name dropped some honorable mentions:
Pita Pit- I don't what it is about that place that makes it so great but I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that the pita is always wrapped to perfection. You can also order online until the wee hours of the morning and get it delivered to many different locations...like DKE, if for some reason you were there. AND, if you sit in there long enough, you might get a coupon for a free pita...go figure!
Also, Lemongrass should be mentioned, but it is not for the weak-hearted. I am confident that the Spicy Scale, 0-10, is totally random, so if you can take the heat, go for it like a boss.
Cheesy bread and regular pizza are clutch from College Inn, and they deliver, so that makes the whole thing a lot of fun (especially if you're at the library or having a sleepover with your roommates.)
Chipotle. Best enjoyed after you ride your bike there, so you're getting exercise and enjoying a healthy (debatable) meal.
Being that I'm a carboholic, the Downtown Grill is also great due to the huge biscuits they serve.
Arch's brownie batter topping is also top notch as is the Black Caesar Archer.
And O'Hill stir-fry...such a champ.


Although this post hopefully has your mouth watering, I did not want to make it sound like I like every and all restaurants I have ever been to, so I have compiled the (short) Places I Would Not Enjoy Spending Money At If I Am Hungry List: Jimmy John's (sorry Chuck and Panda), any Chinese food restaurant, and Rapture on the Downtown Mall (the DTM for those of you who are cool). That's all I've got for the moment.

I hope you enjoyed this food post. And props to KKraft for opening my eyes to the website for many of these pictures. Let me know if I missed anything! The Rockstar of the Day is hands down the woman who orders lunch for us at work. This is my 3rd day of enjoying her lunches, and she has yet to dissapoint. Rock on Karen! Today was the best lunch yet!
P&B everyone!


2 comments:

  1. I"m really hungry now
    but one question: where do peanut butter & jelly sandwiches make the list??!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You just mentioned so many wonderful things that haven't crossed my mind since I left Cville in May, like chocolate chip muffins, archers, and Kosmic Karma (don't worry, I ate three slices that night, too!)
    Can we please go to Mannino's this summer?!
    Also, very glad that you highlighted the fact that Pita PIt will, in fact, deliver a vegetarian pita at 11 PM to DKE :)

    ReplyDelete