16 June 2010

What the hell time is it?

I don't know why, but today was a great day.

Wednesdays are usually not my jam, being that you're like, oh, i still have two more days of the week til the weekend and I am starting to get really tired due to the trials and tribulations of Monday and Tuesday, but today was quite the nice day.

Started off pretty similarly to all the other days of the summer. Got up. Ate a bowl of cereal and peanut butter and jelly and banana on an english muffin (sorry I'm not sorry that I really like breakfast). Had a really hard time coming up with an outfit today but managed to find a casual cardigan and went to the train station. Got on the train (it'd be weird if I didn't), watched 3 solid episodes of 30 Rock, NBD, took the Subway two stops, got to work, did work-related thangs, ate a quality quesadilla for lunch for only $4- such a BARGAIN, finished up with work-related thangs, then walked outside to the Subway. All of this seems like a pretty darn normal day.

Then, as I proceeded with my escapades through the mass transit system with Stephania, I realized today was the day: all the crazies were out. Some days, you feel like you can just walk through the city without a care in the world, take in all the sights, and just do what you have to do. Other days, such as today, it seems as if everyone in the city forgot how to walk.
People walk unbelievably slow, they stop in the middle of the road and text (very rude AND unnecessary), they backpack slam you, they hit you with their sidebags, and they awkwardly cut in front of you. It's not pretty.

As we're going down the escalator in Penn Station, I realize we have only 3 minutes, according to my watch, to catch the train. As we started to sprint through the crazies, we started yelling to each other, "only 30 seconds MacGruber!" and as we ran onto the train-making sure we watched the gap- we were pretty loudly shouting "1 second MacGruber!" I'm sure we got some funny looks, but all of the sudden, the crazy commute wasn't looking too bad at all. In fact, the whole thing was quite comical.

On the way home, we somehow got seats next to each other on the train from Penn to Jamaica (yea mon) AND from Jamaica to Smithtown...it was basically a Christmas Miracle. And, to top it all off, we successfully finished 3 complete episodes of 30 Rock which means we finished 3 full seasons! It was a great success. A great, great success. I'm not really sure what we are going to watch now, being that we tried watching It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia but found it so inappropriate it was actually shocking...but also funny. One day we watched the Best of Gilda Radner on SNL and were introduced to the one and only Roseanne Roseannadanna, and that was pretty great too, but the next sitcom we watch is still to be determined.

So, this post might seem completely random, which it kind of is, but the main message I'd like to drive home is that even though everyone was being very unpleasant on the way to the train, Stephanie and I were able to turn our days around in quoting 30 Rock incessantly (even while we were watching it we were quoting older episodes) and also quoting as many SNL digital shorts as we could think of. The line "because we live in the matrix" was hands down our most popular phrase of the day. And, our favorite line from 30 Rock today was definitely Tracy Jordan shouting, "what the hell time is it." Out of context, these are just not that funny. But I wanted to write about this because it goes to show that just a little bit of comedy can turn your whole day around. It feels good to laugh, but if you're on the train, just make sure to do it quietly, because all the boss-like business execs sitting around you don't usually laugh along with ya.

Rockstar of the Day is Tina Fey, for creating such a wonderful television show AND for going to UVa AND because I may or may not want her life. Honorable mentions go to Tracy Morgan for being the funniest character on the show, and Alec Baldwin for having an excellent voice. Thanks for reading! P&B.

1 comment:

  1. Now you have to start watching LOST!
    I loved this post; your happiness shines through your writing :)

    ReplyDelete